How do I apply for a new or replacement Social Security number card?

You can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a valid driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from one of the following:
    • District of Columbia (driver’s license only);
    • Iowa;
    • Kentucky;
    • Michigan;
    • Nebraska;
    • New Mexico;
    • Washington; or
    • Wisconsin (driver’s license only).

If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to:

For complete instructions, please go to New or Replacement Social Security Number and Card.

For more information, read our pamphlet, Your Social Security Number and Card.